Skip to content

Creation and conservation of computer files (C3F)

Wanting to learn literate programming in org-mode I figured that my Emacs configuration would be the simplest place to start. In that regard I was right, it just took a lot more work then I had expected, and that is OK. It was a non-trivial effort and I learned a lot. In my mind, the door is now wide open to utilize literate programming; the org-mode team has truly unleashed an amazing gift to the world and it may take the world some time to really understand and appreciate it.

My configs and document follow; the first one, C3F.html, is the human-readable document:

C3F

ditaa-simple

C3F.org

Cask

7 Comments

1. Ben Simon wrote:

I’ve been impressed with Literate Programming since my college days (oh, about 15 years ago). And yet, in all this time, I’ve never found a practical use for it.

Almost the same thing can be said for me and org-mode. It looks so sweet. And yet, I’ve never been able to put it to use.

Congrats on finding a solid use case for both technologies!

Thursday, March 13, 2014 at 04:16 | Permalink
  2. Sacha Chua wrote:

Neat! Thanks for sharing your config. I was wondering if the UTF-8 checkboxes were part of your config somehow, and if you’d gotten Org to output them instead of – [X]. =) Any tips?

Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 12:36 | Permalink
  3. Grant wrote:

SACHA CHUA:

Thanks for saying that and thank you for sharing your passion and expertise with org-mode.

It is still on my todo list to figure out how to do a translation from org-mode checkboxes to utf-8 on export, so for now I just kept the whole list as utf-8, not utilizing any of the related checkbox features.

Saturday, March 15, 2014 at 17:05 | Permalink
  4. Sacha Chua wrote:

Tada! You can override org-html-checkbox with some advice. =)

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 11:53 | Permalink
  5. Grant wrote:

SACHA CHUA:

Thank you!

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 at 19:53 | Permalink
  6. Grant wrote:

SACHA CHUA:

It is in the main branch now:

Friday, March 28, 2014 at 17:50 | Permalink
  7. Sacha Chua wrote:

Even better. Thanks for following up! =)

Friday, March 28, 2014 at 17:52 | Permalink

2 Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. […] Grant Rettke: Creation and conservation of computer files (C3F): Yay literate Emacs configuration files. […]