Tonight I came prepared with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper and quickly realized two things: sandpaper doesn’t last very long and I had more work to do with the wheel brushes. It was very iterative work, the more work I did and thought that I was finished the more I noticed that more needed to be addressed. It helped to take breaks and jump around to different areas to work on, because, well you do need to be quite patient.
Without pulling the engine I still could reach plenty. I decided to do just the sides and top and tonight I think that I got close to everything I want finished with the brass brushes leaving the sandpaper for next time.