BiTeX is something I’ve learned as little about as possible doing just enough to “make it work right”. Glad to know about this for when I don’t know how to do that.
There are plenty of ways to do it and this article is one of the best.
It’s checklist is worth reviewing nearly every time you work directly with your BibTeX file.
Here is a copy of the checklist:
I can’t find the
git 2.10 binary so I run
Excellent, found it.
And then I check it’s version to verify I am looking at the right version
git version 2.15.1
Oops that isn’t what I wanted.
There must be another
git getting loaded earlier in the search path.
Here is how to find out where all copies of
type -a git
git is /usr/local/bin/git git is /usr/local/bin/git git is /usr/bin/git
Look for the right
git at version 2.10
/usr/local/bin/git --version /usr/bin/git --version
git version 2.15.1 git version 2.10.1 (Apple Git-78)
I want the second one.
That is how to track down the location of a binary file on macOS that appears multiple times in the search path.
Sometimes I want to recreate the OCR layer in a PDF using PDFPenPro but the menu item is greyed out.
Here is how force a re-scan:
- Hold down COMMAND+OPTION
- And then click Edit → OCR Document
If you open the menu first like I did, then the menu item remains greyed out, oops 😮😢.
PDFPenPro is in the top five list of best software that I’ve ever used. Check it out.
After using it for a few days I already love it.
- I have a document open, and I want copy a few parts from it, into an email. But I don’t want to have to command-tab between the document and the email. So I just comand-c… and then go to my email. I do that all the time.
- When I care about something that I am reading, a phrase, a word, and I want to remember it… maybe. So, the copy buffer is persistent, and I can go back anytime and look up what I may wanted to use.
Flycut: It’ll Remember It For You (but not Wholesale ).
If you are an Emacser you’ll instantly know and love this as a macOS Kill Ring.
Security concern: persisting sensitive information in your clipboard like this, it is easy to forget about it. Fortunately Flycut doesn’t copy values from password fields. Additionally it keeps it’s data local to your computer never sharing it between your other computers or devices. However, it is just like any other security concern so be careful what you keep in there.
Sometimes Bash needs its debugger but it can’t find it. It looks like this:
/usr/share/bashdb/bashdb-main.inc: No such file or directory -bash: warning: cannot start debugger
For example when you start
bashdb yourself with
bash --debugger or set
shopt -s extdebug. Another example is when your terminal turns it on.
Here is the fix that worked on my box:
brew install bashdb bashhome=$(brew --prefix bash) bdbhome=$(brew --prefix bashdb) ln -s $bdbhome/share/bashdb $bashhome/share/bashdb unset bashhome unset bdbhome
OSX people maybe update now.
Vincent’s Git workflow is powerful and simple. So it is the best one for most of us. When you tell somebody that you aren’t using it then they expect a pretty convincing explanation why not. There isn’t much to make sense of really.
gitflow-avh is the easiest way to use it. I tried doing it manually but it is easier to use the plugin. Here are some of the differences if you want compare the plugin with doing it manually. It is worth trying out manually if you want to appreciate the plugin, maybe.
- Evaluate sound-dampening foam
- Record the audio and video simultaneously in a conversational style and edit the video to fit the time-line
- Love conversational style; curious about how to reduce it to the core content
- Spoke more loudly
- Added logo
- Sped up video content to make it fit the time-line or removed some
Outcome & Feedback
- Spent only 2 hours and I’m happy with the result
- Conversation (audio and video) were recorded separately from the content. It is difficult not to synchronize them but rather to make them work well together. In this screencast, the content more or less makes sense. I think that I could do it better.
- Weighing the balance between getting the content out there in an imperfect form versus planning forever and rarely publishing anything.
- Missed light misplacement hilariously causing humongous eyebrows
hdiutil chpass [image_name]