BiTeX is something I’ve learned as little about as possible doing just enough to “make it work right”. Glad to know about this for when I don’t know how to do that.
How The Heck Are You Supposed To Choose Your BibTeX Keys?!
There are plenty of ways to do it and this article is one of the best.
It’s checklist is worth reviewing nearly every time you work directly with your BibTeX file.
Here is a copy of the checklist:
Continue reading “How The Heck Are You Supposed To Choose Your BibTeX Keys?!”
(PDF) Re-OCR A PDF Using PDFPenPro
Sometimes I want to recreate the OCR layer in a PDF using PDFPenPro but the menu item is greyed out.
Here is how force a re-scan:
- Hold down COMMAND+OPTION
- And then click Edit → OCR Document
If you open the menu first like I did, then the menu item remains greyed out, oops 😮😢.
PDFPenPro is in the top five list of best software that I’ve ever used. Check it out.
What Is Your transpose-[chars|words|…] Story?
I wonder because I’ve got no story myself. I mean I know about it but probably don’t do it frequently enough for it to occur to me to use a function.
But a lot of people do and so greatly value this function.
What is your transpose-[chars|words|…] story? What kind of things are you transposing a lot and why?
(macOS) Manage Multiple Snippets Of Copied Text With Your Clipboard With Flycut
After using it for a few days I already love it.
- I have a document open, and I want copy a few parts from it, into an email. But I don’t want to have to command-tab between the document and the email. So I just comand-c… and then go to my email. I do that all the time.
- When I care about something that I am reading, a phrase, a word, and I want to remember it… maybe. So, the copy buffer is persistent, and I can go back anytime and look up what I may wanted to use.
Flycut: It’ll Remember It For You (but not Wholesale ).
If you are an Emacser you’ll instantly know and love this as a macOS Kill Ring.
Security concern: persisting sensitive information in your clipboard like this, it is easy to forget about it. Fortunately Flycut doesn’t copy values from password fields. Additionally it keeps it’s data local to your computer never sharing it between your other computers or devices. However, it is just like any other security concern so be careful what you keep in there.
Making Sense of git-flow
Vincent’s Git workflow is powerful and simple. So it is the best one for most of us. When you tell somebody that you aren’t using it then they expect a pretty convincing explanation why not. There isn’t much to make sense of really.
gitflow-avh is the easiest way to use it. I tried doing it manually but it is easier to use the plugin. Here are some of the differences if you want compare the plugin with doing it manually. It is worth trying out manually if you want to appreciate the plugin, maybe.
This and this cheat-sheet aren’t all you need to know but they are a fine start.
Screencasting Practice & Feedback: 00004
- Evaluate sound-dampening foam
- Record the audio and video simultaneously in a conversational style and edit the video to fit the time-line
- Love conversational style; curious about how to reduce it to the core content
- Spoke more loudly
- Added logo
- Sped up video content to make it fit the time-line or removed some
Outcome & Feedback
- Spent only 2 hours and I’m happy with the result
- Conversation (audio and video) were recorded separately from the content. It is difficult not to synchronize them but rather to make them work well together. In this screencast, the content more or less makes sense. I think that I could do it better.
- Weighing the balance between getting the content out there in an imperfect form versus planning forever and rarely publishing anything.
- Missed light misplacement hilariously causing humongous eyebrows
Change password of encrypted disk image in OS X with Terminal
hdiutil chpass [image_name]
Emacs-wgrep Provides Writable Grep Buffers That Apply The Changes To The Files
Emacs-wgrep provides writable grep buffer that apply the changes to files.
Intuitive and familiar idea if you already like editable dired buffers.
Blank MP3s Of Varying Lengths
Every need an audio file with nothing on it?
Surprisingly it is pretty common.
Here are some blank MP3s, thank you Xamuel!